Researchers found that adhering to a healthy diet can reverse metabolic syndrome.
They studied 339 people with the disorder. Participants average age was 56, about 1/4 were women. They were given a set of guidelines to follow.
- Whole grains instead of refined grains
- White meat instead of red meat
- Lots of vegetables and fruit
- Nuts and soy
After 5 years almost 1/2 of participants no longer had metabolic syndrome.
You are considered to have metabolic syndrome if three of the following risk factors are present.
- Excess belly fat
- Low levels of HDL ( Good Cholesterol)
- High blood pressure
- Type 2 diabetes
- Hi triglycerides
- High blood glucose levels